Seamless Tube Mill – Fabrication & Finishing Operations
- Provided process improvement enhancement recommendations for a new $650 million facility.
- Created a digital simulation model utilizing ProModel software which calculated equipment utilizations, quality yield, and identified bottlenecks for 14 overhead cranes and 350 part numbers that pass through 8 different routings.
- Provided comprehensive facility layout for 1,000,000 sq-ft facility.
- Gathered, organized and documented processing information for over 200 pieces of equipment.
BOF Melting & Continuous Casting Operations
- Performed a Basic Oxygen Furnace ladle increase capacity study using simulation software. Identified bottleneck operations and provided recommendations.
- Evaluated capacity impact of increasing the ladle from 225 to 240 tons.
- Provided an improvement solution to increase production 8% with minimal capital requirements.
Bottom Pour – Railroad Car Axle & Wheel Fabricator
- Co-designed and verified the throughput capacity of a $30 million melt shop upgrade which included: a new 70-ton Electric Arc Furnace (EAF), new Ladle Refining station, new Degas station, upgraded 40-ton EAF and pouring pit configurations to produce several hundred thousand tons/year in a 15 turn week.
- Used simulation software to identify process improvements and verify capacity throughput.
- Designed pouring pit configurations and locations.
- Prepared an appropriation level report describing the new facility, probable cost of construction, proposed project schedule with an operating and maintenance cost comparison of the new and old layout configurations.
Steel Melting, Casting and Rolling Operations
- Provided site layout designs for expanding billet and finished good inventory for a 100% increase in throughput.
- Provided order of magnitude costing for building expansions and material handling equipment.
- Provided a digital simulation model of a new EAF and casting facility that identified bottlenecks.
Scrap Yard Layout for Melting & Casting Operations
- Calculated inventory levels of various grades of metal that helped organize their scrap yard to reduce operating costs.
- Provided a digital simulation model that helped verify the amount of material handling equipment was required with a new scrap process.
Compressed Gas Machining, Assembling & Testing Operations
- Implemented leveled scheduling with new assembly cell layouts for continuous flow processing utilizing Kanban cards to increase production 15% and minimizing WIP inventory.
- Installed bar coding for finished product inventory tracking.
- Created assembly cells based on product families with line balancing to maximize throughput.
- Created and managed the Research & Development Department which included lab equipment selection, layout design, technician training, construction and product testing documentation. designed, fabricated, installed and supported Cryogenic Oxygen Pumping Systems for the home health care industry.