Many industrial engineering tools are available for material flow design. Value stream mapping is one tool used for benchmarking and identifying potential process improvement opportunities.
Productivity Solutions ability to implement and teach Lean Manufacturing practices, Just-In-Time (JIT) replenishment systems, reduce process variances and other tools enables us to save you money.
Material Flow Design Capabilities
- Lean Manufacturing Techniques
- Just-In-Time (JIT) Scheduling
- Takt Time / Line Balancing Techniques
- Equipment Justification Calculations
- Capacity Modeling using Spreadsheet Models
- Digital Simulation Modeling
Pet Food Manufacturer
Mixes, blends, extrudes, dries and bags several flavors of dog food.
- Designed new bagging operations and equipment requirements to eliminate the need for $6 million of work-in-process silos and conveyors.
- Performed capacity and scheduling calculations using digital simulation and ExcelÒ software.
- Identified proper buffer storage queue sizes for 5 automated bagging and palletizing lines.
Projection TV Lens Manufacturer
Extrudes, polishes, assembles, tests and packages several million projection TV lens assemblies annually.
- Performed a complete material workflow study with a 60,000-sq. ft. warehouse layout design to minimize floor space requirements, material handling costs and inventory carrying costs.
- Reduced annual inventory carrying costs $140,000 and annual operating costs $90,000 by performing a comprehensive workflow study.
- Provided spreadsheet models for re-calculating reorder-point levels and inventory turns to minimize inventory-carrying costs of different product forecasts.
- Generated six (6) equipment cost justifications that supported recommendations.
Compressed Gas Equipment Manufacturer
Machines, assembles, tests and packages medical, welding, manifold and compressed gas fitting assemblies.
- Implemented leveled scheduling with new assembly cell layouts for continuous flow processing utilizing Kanban cards to improve production efficiency 15%.
- Reduced Work-In-Process (WIP) inventory 10% for several product lines.
- Installed bar coding for finished product inventory tracking.